Definition of poisoning by mushrooms
Certain types of mushrooms contain toxins or poisons that can greatly affect human health in their consumption. One type of mushrooms can produce many types of toxins. Wild mushrooms that are safe to eat, also can be toxic, as they may be contaminated by farm sprays.
Anyone can become ill from eating poisonous mushrooms and poisoning signs are very clear and visible. It is always necessary to be especially careful when picking wild mushrooms. In general, it is best to rely on the knowledge and experience of experts in the field, because the mushroom poisoning, of course, is one of the most serious forms of food poisoning in general.
Children are the most common victims of mushroom poisoning, and they come in contact with poisonous mushrooms while playing outdoors, in moments of inattention of people who care for them.
Mushroom poisoning cases are usually more severe in adults, because they eat the mushrooms specifically in the form of prepared meals so that they enter into the body a far greater amount of toxins. Pets can also be poisoned by mushrooms, but these cases are rare.
How to know if mushroom is poisonous or safe to eat? Mushroom Poisoning
Unfortunately, there is no clean and simple way to say whether the mushroom is poisonous or safe to eat. There are thousands of species of mushrooms, of which about a hundred known species that are poisonous. There are lots of myths and stories, which are poisonous mushrooms and how to identify them.
Of course, these stories are not reliable and should be taken with caution. Because of these people’s beliefs, those are not scientifically based, many times it happened mushroom poisoning with fatal consequences.
Poisonous mushrooms can grow next to edible mushrooms and can look just like mushroom safe to eat. To ensure that you have the edible mushroom, it is safest to be confirmed by mushroom expert – mycologist, or to buy mushrooms in stores or restaurants.
Thermal processing, freezing, washing and conservation will not make poisonous mushrooms edible. The surest way to prevent poisoning by mushrooms is to avoid eating poisonous mushrooms.
Typical symptoms of mushroom poisoning
Mushroom poisoning, covers a large variety of signs and symptoms, which include broad, general category of food poisoning signs. Some mushrooms can cause vomiting, abdominal cramps, headache, dizziness, sweating, diarrhea, fever, weakness, hallucinations, muscle spasms, etc…
Toxins from certain species of mushroom can also damage the nervous system and liver and kidney and frequently result in death. There are some types of poisonous mushrooms whose toxins can cause long-term health consequences and the creation of cancer.
In principle, signs of poisoning by mushrooms, can vary in dependency on the amount of toxins in mushrooms and hence the quantity of poisonous mushrooms that has entered the body. After eating poisonous mushrooms, some people will immediately get sick and some will show signs of mushroom poisoning only after several hours.
Given that people often eat more kinds of poisonous mushrooms, there are a large number of different signs of poisoning, which really makes it difficult for doctors to give correct and precise diagnosis, in order to effectively provide assistance to persons poisoned by mushrooms.
What to do if you suspect that you have eaten poisonous mushrooms?
First, collect samples of all sorts of mushrooms that you ate. Then put the samples in a paper bag or waxed paper, and put it in the refrigerator. And of course, contact a doctor as soon as possible and succinctly explain to him what you ate and how you feel. In case of serious symptoms of poisoning, head to the nearest hospital where medical staff will give you adequate support.
Recommended Article – Food Poisoning Signs And Causes